In undergraduate school, I owned a chunky little desktop that was not even internet compatible. I used it for writing papers, thrilled to have the option of "backspacing" in the case of spelling errors! I had an e-mail address and accessed it at the campus computer lab every so often. The university server was slow as molasses. I did most of my research using books at the library.
Then, during my two years of graduate school, I set foot in the library only once. I researched from the comfort of my apartment. I acquired a somewhat-miniature cell phone, basic plan, for freeway commuting emergencies.
I now type (keyboard?) to you from home on my work laptop. I post my dumb little thoughts onto my very own website using high-speed, wireless internet service provided by a cell phone company. My home hasn't had a telephone landline for years. If I forget my itty-bitty, little cell phone at home when I run to town, I am just an itty-bitty, little bit lost. When I don't feel like talking but need to touch base with a friend, I text them. We might intermittently text back and forth for an entire evening what we could discuss in about ten minutes. I have always excelled at spelling but, recently, when composing something like this blog entry or a report for work, I have to think twice before typing (keyboarding?) words such as l8r, ur, xlnt, 2mro, b4.... lol!
So my point is this: Like much of the world, I have gone hi-tekky. I am part of a chameleon-like generation. We did not grow up with the technology as it is now but we learned it quickly and we use it. In retrospect, the rapid progression is almost baffling. More baffling still is the realization that technology will likely continue to evolve at this rate. I can almost imagine my grown children laughing at mom's old-school blog and all of its outdated references!
No comments:
Post a Comment